Saturday, July 30, 2011

Vegan Butterfingers

Pretty much everyone loves butterfingers.  Who didn't grow up with Bart Simpson skateboarding around telling people off for trying to eat his butterfinger? However, since becoming vegan, they're sort of off the table.  Which is why I was sort of irritated nobody every told me about Chick-O-Sticks until last week:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-O-Stick

Chick-O-Sticks are exactly like the middle of butterfingers.  Super delicious and peanut buttery.  After finding this part, it was easy to make a full butterfinger.

I bought 3 packs of Chick-O-Sticks (if you live in Chicago, you can find these at an awesome candy store called Candyality).

I improvised my sort of double broiler by placing a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water (works just as well) and then dumped in 1/2 a bag of semi sweet Ghiradelli chocolate chips to melt.  I always add about a teaspoon of vanilla when melting chocolate, but that's my tastes.  If the mixture is too thick or fudgey, you can add small amounts of vanilla or chocolate soymilk.  This will make it easier to dip the sticks.

I just broke up the Chick-O-Sticks into 3 pieces to make it easier, but theoretically you could do the whole thing.  I tossed them in the melted chocolate, then rolled them around till they were coated and pulled them out with forks.  I laid them out on a tray lined with wax paper and put them in the fridge to cool.  Pretty simple!


I want to use these to try to make butterfinger cheese cake, but I'll need to get a good peanut butter cheese cake recipe first.

No comments:

Post a Comment