Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cumin Lentil Stir-Up

I wanted to make something with lentils, indianish, but not so spicy. I took some veggies and spices, and mixed them up. It ended up being super delicious (then again, I do love potatoes). Once I upload it, I'll add a photo.

Start a pot of water boiling with about 1 - 1 & 1/2 Cups lentils (brown, but other types would probably work too) and get these cooking.

Peel 2 potatoes, medium sized (one would probably work just as well, but I love potatoes), cut these into cubes
Cut up some cauliflower into chunks
About a cup of cut up cabbage
1/2 cup diced onions

Start these frying in some olive oil in a frying pan. Make sure you put a lid on it so that it can steam and cook. Stir occasionally Once the lentils are done, mix them in with the rest. Then add the following spices:

2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper (add more if you like spiciness)
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp salt (then salt to taste)

Mix it well, it should be a slight yellow color from the turmeric. Add a little more olive oil, to help all the flavors mix. Finish frying it up, and serve.

1 comment:

  1. How can it be Indian without the spicy? :P Silly face.

    The cauliflower makes me sad. Also my mother normally uses canola oil for Indian cooking--I don't know if it makes a real taste difference (seems to not for pancakes)...but there you are.

    Turmeric = awesome.

    ReplyDelete