Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ecuadoran Quinoa Soup

This is a traditional soup of Ecuador. Quinoa is an awesome seed (although it looks like a grain) from South America, high in protein and iron, and other good nutrients. This soup was warm and tasty, with an interesting flavor of spices, just perfect for a cold night.



Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan (medium heat)
Add 1/2 cup chopped green or yellow onion, 3 garlic cloves (chopped or crushed)
Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin, paprika, and oregano.
Let cook for 5 minutes, until onions are soft and fragrant
Add 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and soaked.
Add 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth.
Add 1 tsp salt
Peel and add 1/2 pound of baking potatoes (I used about 5 small-medium sized ones)
Chop and add 1 cup cabbage or leafy green such as collards, mustard, ect (I ran out of room in my pot for this, but I was really wishing I had had room for some cabbage)

Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook on low for 20 minutes (make sure the potatoes are cooked all the way through).

Optional - if you like cilantro, you can add 1 Tbsp chopped at the end.


I was in Ecuador a few years ago and one of the girls I was with was vegan. We were all surprised by how many of their recipes were naturally vegan. We all cooked together every night, and it was a great experience. To this day, I still add broccoli to my spaghetti sauce (its really good, and adds lots of vitamins). Maybe someday I can find the lentil dish we made there, it was so good.



Here's where I got the original recipe:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200211/kummer

No comments:

Post a Comment