Friday, February 12, 2010

Superbowl Sausage

On Sunday after work, my boyfriend and I went to a great superbowl party with some work friends. It was a lot of fun and I had a great time with my coworkers. Before the party, Michael and I had made something to bring so that we could have dinner there, since everyone else was having chicken wings (Melissa made delicious guacamole that we could have too). In my meat eating life, I wasn't a big sausage person. Never eating a hot dog again is no love lost. But this was pretty good, and its really easy. Michael eats these all the time. I don't know if these are available everywhere, but Ive found them at every Whole foods in this area, and they're produced in Seattle.

The sausages are made by a brand called Field Roast Grain Meat Co., and They're completely vegan. I love the smoke apple sage type. The chipotle is a little to spicy for me, and I haven't tried the Italian yet. You also need 2 boxes of some type of wild rice mix or rice pilaf mix. Whatever you prefer. I like the Rice-a-roni wild rice mix.

Follow the instructions on the box and put the rice on the back burner while it cooks.

Open the sausages and basically just fry them up in a pan. We don't even use oil, they just need to be browned on the outside and cooked all the way through. (they also go really well with the earlier stuffed mushroom recipe)

Chop up all four sausages into bite sized pieces. Put them in a bowl with the rice when its done and mix it well. Thats it basically, pretty simple.

I was pretty proud at the party because one of my favorite vegan cooking things happened. I was telling one of my co-workers to try some and he said "Yeah, I had some, it was good, but you cant have any because it has meat in it." I replied, "No it doesn't, I'm the one that made it." He got a sort of confused/suspicious look on his face and asked "You mean thats not meat?". I explained what it was and he said "you know, thats really good. I couldn't even tell it was vegan."

No comments:

Post a Comment