Monday, February 22, 2010

Spicy Chinese Stir Fry

I'm watching a documentary about the "Obesity Epidemic" which is really interesting, but also very sad. Its called "Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat" and is on instant streaming on Netflix if anyone is interesting. So in honor of that, and inspired by a great meal in china town (Szechuan Crispy Tofu: Coming soon to Vegan Tasties), I got a new bottle of Thai chili sauce and experimented in making a good stirfry sauce. This would be a good meatless meal for Friday if you practice lent.



Start by putting on a serving or two of rice (or more if you want to save leftovers for later in the week). I think its usually a cup water for every half cup rice. Brown rice is a lot healthier, but if you want a more stereotypical Chinese style meal, you can go with white rice.

While this is cooking, cube up some tofu and dry it a little (my picture doesn't have this because I was lazy, but it adds some good protein). Cut up some veggies you enjoy. I had on hand broccoli and red peppers. You could do peapods, onions, peas, lima beans, corn, carrots, cabbage, ect.

Once the rice is done, put it in a frying pan and add the veggies and tofu.

Add:
2tsp Szechuan Marinade
2tsp soy sauce
1tsp sesame seed oil
1tsp ground ginger
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon sake or white rice vineager

Mix well and cook for another minute or two. Top with sesame seeds.

1 comment:

  1. For the record, calling it "spicy" is bringing a tear of pride to my eye. Perhaps I can trick my parents into eating some.

    ReplyDelete