Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Re-energizing Trail Mix

Trail mix is full of vegan protein and good, healthy fats.  Also, its delicious.  This is the trail I make when I want a quick pick-me-up.  I also make it for the donors who come to the blood drive at my work.  I use raw nuts and roast them myself, which can be tricky.  It seems like half the time they never want to brown, and the other half they burn.  However, this is what works for me:

Combine in a large mixing bowl:
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw pecans
1 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, shelled.
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt, then to taste

Preheat the oven to 350.  Toss until everything is coated in oil/salt and evenly distributed.  Pour it into a baking tray and spread it out into an even layer.  Put it in the oven for 15 minutes or a bit longer if it doesn't look like it has browned at all.  Be very careful not to burn it.  Once you have pulled it out and it has cooled, mix in 1 cup cranberries.  It's great for when you need a little mid-day energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment