Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Winter Vegetable Soup

Winter always puts me in the mood for a warm bowl of soup, so here's another soup recipe featuring some winter vegetables.  Hopefully you have a crockpot, otherwise a big soup pot will work.

Start boiling water to prepare the broth.  Using Knorr vegetable bouillon cubes works really well to create a broth, or you could use some kind of liquid broth.  I used a whole box of cubes (about 6), which equates to about 12 cups of water.  I like to boil it before I add it to the crockpot when using bouillon cubes because it helps dissolve them better/more easily.

Broth
6 Knorr vegetable bouillon cubes
12 cups water
1 tsp ginger powder
2 cloves crushed garlic/1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp pepper

After this is boiling and everything is dissolved and mixed, pour into the crock pot.

Vegetables

1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 Russel potato, cubed
1/3 cup diced mushroom
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 box (about 8 oz) medium shaped pasta

Add all these things to the crockpot with the broth and allow to cook for about 35-45 minutes, or until everything is soft.  This was pretty successful at Christmas Eve.

PS.  I can't believe I kept a blog for a whole year.  I'm a bit proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment