Saturday, December 18, 2010

Lasagna

Last night was my office Christmas party, which was a blast.  Since it was catered, I decided to bring a veggie option to share (there's 4 of us now!), and also because I like cooking for large groups of people and am starting to be known for my tasty vegan food.  I brought apple crisps, which has been a favorite since I made it at a baking class at work, sausage and stir fried rice, and I wanted to bring some lasagna too.  So this recipe was born, half from something I found online.  It was all gone by the time I came home, and a few people who didn't know I brought it didn't even realize it was vegan, which is usually how I tell it something was a success or not.

Preheat the oven to 350.  Get a square baking pan out and ready.

Sauce:
2 cans tomato sauce 15 oz
1 can tomato paste  6 oz
1 yellow onion, chopped
about 4 oz of fresh mushroom, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
1 tbsp basil
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
dash of cayenne
1/2 a bag of morningstar ground crumbles

Heat this all up together and stir well.  When everything else is heated up and ready to use, take a package of firm tofu and crumble it into the pot.  Stir this in, trying to make sure there are no clumps that are too large.

Take some lasagna noodles and start layering this, the sauce and fresh spinach leaves.  Start with noodles on the bottom, sauce, spinach.  I made the mistake of making the sauce layer too thick, so maybe make it 1/4 inch thick.  Don't put noodles on the top layer because this just burned and I had to pick it off after I baked it.

Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment