Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Apple Crisp

I loooove apple crisp. And blueberry crisp (although I won't get any of that until the prices go down in the summer). I usually just get this bin at the store and dump it in with some butter to put on top of the apples, which is good, but it has a lot of unpronounceable stuff in it, and probably some kind of high fructose corn syrup and the like. I found this recipe off a Betty Crocker website and modified it slightly. It originally called for nutmeg, but I thought it detracted from the overall taste, so I took it out and added a little more cinnamon.

4 medium cooking apples (tart works best, but any type really will do), sliced and peeled.
Some people leave the peels on, but I like it better without them
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats (most types will work, I used old fashioned)
1/3 cup vegan butter (such as earth balance)
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Temp- 375 F

Spread apples in a baking pan. Stir the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, doing the dry ones first. Add the butter and mix it in well. It should end up looking somewhat crumbly.
Spread over the apples evenly.
Bake for 30 minutes. The apples should be tender when pierced with a fork.

Note: I tried this recipe last weekend with bulgar wheat be cause I was out of flour and it wasn't
very good.

This will be my next vegan baking activity at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment