Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tomato Cups

I'm almost done with my first translation project!  I'm translating a NPO website and I only have 6 (out of 67) pages left, and I've done it all since May.  It's due Thursday, and I should be done in time.  However, I've been spending most of my free time doing that (or working or hanging out with friends) so there hasn't been much recipe posting.  Here's a quick one that we made the other night at the summer solstice party.

Tomato Cups
(fits into the category of raw food)
Idea was found on: http://www.living-foods.com

You want about 1/2 as many tomatoes as people will be there.  So I probably should have made 3 instead of 6 (I always make too much food and pawn it off to people at work)

For 6 people:
Take 3 medium tomatoes.  You can experiment with various sizes or flavors (cherry would be good but small) for different effects, but this is how I did it.

Cut the tomatoes in half.  Use a spoon (a grapefruit spoon would probably have worked great, if I had one) to scoop out the innards of the tomato, leaving a centimeter or two thick shell.  If its much thinner, you won't get much taste except for the tomato.  Keep the innards.

Chop the following:
Tomato innards
1/2 of a small sized cucumber
1 celery stick
1 green onion
1/4 cup red onion
1/4 cup cilantro or parsley
1 tbsp mint (fresh, not dried)
1 clove garlic (actually chopped, pressed won't work right)

Combine in a bowl and add:
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp lemon juice




No comments:

Post a Comment