Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Weekend Food Adventures

This weekend, I've been cooking up a storm.  I'll have lots of new recipes to post, but I just wanted to talk about the cooking adventures.  On Wednesday, I was in the mood for dessert and experimented making some chocolate chip cookie bars (which turned out really well), and some peanut butter "kiss" cookies like the kind my grandma makes (peanut butter cookies with a hershey's kiss in the middle).  Of course, I can't use hershey's kisses, so instead I used some Ghiradelli baking chocolate (the semi sweet kind is vegan).  I took a basic peanut butter cookie recipe from peta, and tried to modify it, but it wasn't quite sweet enough, so I will be working on that more.  Desserts in hand, I went over to a friends house where we do pretty much weekly Vegan cooking.  This week, we made a really interesting avocado pesto pasta dish.  It was really tasty, but to make it even better next time, I'm going to add sauteed veggies to the pasta.

After a wild goose chase on Thursday, I picked up my first batch of produce from my farm CSA at Uncommon Grounds.  It's from a southern Wisconsin farm called Harvest Moon.  In this batch I got spinach, rhubarb, asparagus, cilantro, radishes, chard, and garlic scapes.  I'm in the process of finding a recipe for the chard and scapes, but I've used most of the spinach, rhubarb, and asparagus.

Priya was up this weekend, so that meant a lot of cooking.  We made my Aunt's Fruit Pie, and then some Apple Sage Sausages and Quinoa.  We played Taboo with some friends, attempted to get drunk and pretty much failed (although we discovered fruit smoothies with pomegranite schnopps are delicious).  The next day, we had star fruit and made strawberry rhubarb pie.

On Sunday, a friend of Michael's and mine from from his work wanted to have a dinner party with Vegan food, and cheese and wine.  I'll talk more about this in a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment