Sunday, June 20, 2010

Whipped Cream

When I found out how easy this whipped cream recipe was, I was fairly upset at how long it had taken me to find.  I hadn't had whipped cream (something I ate in copious amounts both straight from a redi-whip can and also made from heavy cream by my mother) in almost a year.  It's so simple to make, and has that airy, fluffy taste that makes whipped cream delicious.  I found this from a video online and then figured the proportions myself.

Ingredients:
2 cans of coconut milk (full fat, not the beverage)  Thai Kitchen was the brand I used and it worked perfectly
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Pretty much everything must be refrigerated about 4 hours or more so that it is the temperature of the refrigerator.  This would be:
The cans of coconut milk  (you could just keep a few cans in the fridge so that you can always make whipped cream, if the mood strikes)
A metal mixing bowl
The beaters of the egg beaters or kitchen aid.  Or I suppose one could try a metal whisk, but you have to do a lot of stirring.

Once the cans are properly cold, poke a hole or two in the bottom with one of those bottle opener things and drain out the liquid.  Make sure the hole is in the bottom.
Then open the top and take off the lid.  There should be a creamy white layer about an inch or two thick at the top.  Scrape this out and put into the metal mixing bowl.  Repeat with the other can.

Whip this a little by mixing it.  Add the powdered sugar and continue to whip until it is all mixed in.  Do not over mix it.

Use on pies and cakes, or just eat it strait.  It's delicious.  It tastes a little like coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment