Saturday, January 23, 2010

Aunt Pat's awesome vegan, all fruit, gluten free pie

My dad's side of the family are all pretty into health, so they were most supportive when I went vegan and tried to make sure that what they cooked was ok for me to eat. My aunt Pat even went vegetarian herself, after looking into the topic. She also has celiac's, so she can't have most typical deserts unless she makes them herself or buys something special. So when I went out to visit and celebrate my college graduation, she made these delicious pies that everybody (even my extremely health conscious dad) could eat.

Crust:
In a food processor, mix about 2 cups raw pecans and about 6 pitted dates together. Then
press the "dough" into a pie pan.
(Or if in a rush, (and if you don't care that its not gluten free) you can use a keebler graham cracker crust, which is vegan)

Filling:
For the filling, mix in a blender 1-2 bananas and a bunch of strawberries. Try not to get it too runny. If the bananas are too green, it won't have as good of flavor.

Putting it all together:
Cover the bottom of the "pie crust" with sliced bananas.
Then decorate on top of the filling with sliced fruit: sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, sliced kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, and
raspberries. (those are the fruits I use...you could experiment with others if you like).
Chill and serve.

The filling might turn out a little runny (usually for me it looks a little like yogurt), but really its still delicious.

My little cousin wanted to eat while he was watching tv in the bedroom. He grabbed his plate and everyone was like "nooo..." He tripped and it landed face down on my aunts white carpet. It was kind of funny, in a tv sitcom kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment