Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Aloo (Potato) with Madras Simmer Sauce

Another thing I picked up in Hong Kong is a love for Indian food. For years I've talked people out of going out to Indian restaurants because I wasn't really a fan of curry. But then in Hong Kong, we stayed in a hostel where the base floor was full of vendors, many of whom were Indians or Pakistanis. I found out that I love samosas, and that many other Indian dishes are delicious. Here's something Michael and I made up last night:

In a frying pan combine:
2 cubed potatoes (the kind with very thin skin that are a light yellow color. If you use russet I would suggest peeling them)
1 can Chickpeas
1/2 a bag frozen peas
2tbsp olive oil

Cover and allow to simmer until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked, so for about 15 minutes. Add more oil if needed.

Take a jar of simmer sauce (we used Seeds of Change Madras simmer sauce) and put about half the jar in (more if you like spices)
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Mix thoroughly and allow to simmer on low for another 5 minutes.

Serve with nan bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment