Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vegan Ultramarathoner

I read a lot of vegan news during the day (ex. Did you know Mike Tyson is now vegan? Can you say Irony?), and I found this article about a vegan ultramarathoner. It talks about his diet and helps to dispel the myths about vegan athletes(it also mentions some other meat free athletes). He's pretty impressive (for example he will be running a 24 hour marathon soon to see how many miles total he can do in that time). I barely have the patience to do three miles with Michael (I prefer biking/roller blading).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/sports/13runner.html?ref=sports

Just goes to show that as long as you are aware of proper nutrition and give your body what it needs, you can do amazing things (I'm looking at you, Standard American Diet).

2 comments:

  1. In addition to Scott Jurek, many of the world's top athletes are also vegan. Tennis superstar Martina Navratilova, Ironman/Ironwoman Triatheletes Dave Scott, Brendan Brazier and Ruth Heidrich, Bodybuilders Andreas Cahling and Bill Pearl, Olympic medalist and long-distance runner Paavo Nurmi, and world-record-holding swimmer Bill Pickering are just a few who come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I don't know a ton about vegan athletes, so thats useful to me when I'm discussing the topic. It usually comes up during "the protein argument".

    ReplyDelete