Thursday, May 13, 2010

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

In the last two weeks, between muffins and cupcakes, I think I've made at least six dozen cupcakes/muffins.  I've already posted my vanilla frosting recipe, but I've found the most amazing chocolate frosting to go with it.  Its a recipe from one of my cookbooks, with adaptations.  If you want some really interesting recipe ideas I highly recommend the book, Vegan Lunch Box.  I paired this with her white cupcakes in my latest cooking demonstration at work, and everyone loved it.  I got a lot of comments about how "you can't even tell its vegan".  The frosting is really what makes it though.  Here's my adaptation:

4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup earth balance butter or another Vegan butter
5 tbsp soy milk
2 tsp vanilla

Basically mix all of the above in a large bowl, either by hand or with an electric mixer.  It should come out the consistency of that kind of frosting you get in the tubs in the grocery store, thick and creamy.  If its too thin, add a little more powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a 1:4 ratio, stirring.  If its too thick, add soymilk 1/2 tbsp at a time, stirring. It should give a little resistance when stirring.

Another tip is if the butter is not fully melted and is not mixing well, you might be able to leave it on top of the stove (depending on your type of oven), and the heat from the oven will help melt it.

Anyway, it ends up absolutely delicious.  I've noticed that this goes best with the vanilla cupcakes, and the vanilla frosting goes best with the chocolate cupcakes.

1 comment: