Tuesday, January 12, 2010

5 Funny/ironic things that are vegan

1) Oreos-You'd think that the whole chocolate/cream and being a cooking thing would mean lots of dairy and possibly egg, but nope, they're vegan. And delicious. This applies to oreo pie crust too. Thank god, because that means I can still make oreo pie. This is always my go to example for how vegan cookies can be delicious. Also lorna doones and nutter butters. I swear a CEO in nabisco is vegan.

2) Pillsbury Crescent rolls- yes, the ones with "real buttery flavor" are indeed vegan. No egg and no dairy butter. Which begs the question, as one might also ask for the oreos: whats really in these things?

3) a-1 steak sauce. My co-workers always laugh about this one. I think its just funny because people mainly associate it with meat. I put it on everything. potatoes, tater tots, green beans. Its delicious.

4) Jello pudding, various flavors. I know that the vanilla and butterscotch versions are vegan (I have them in front of me). One would just usually expect pudding to have some kind of dairy in it when made by a major corporation. I just guess all of these are funny because they're produced by major food corporations, which traditionally don't have animal welfare (or anyone's welfare for that matter) or vegans/vegetarians in mind. This also makes oreo pie vegan.

5) Pepperage Farm puff pastries. These are delicious and amazing for baking. I hope to soon explore this further. One usually expects most flaky desserts and pastries to have egg in them, but these don't. They also make my holiday staple, quorn chicken pot pie, possible.

Maybe next time I'll do 5 funny/ironic things that aren't vegan. And they will mainly be due to having gelatin. Although skittles and starbursts are no longer on that list! Everybody write to your MARS Inc. representative and say thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment