Sunday, January 10, 2010

Three great Chicago-area Vegan/Vegetarian Restaraunts

In the past few days I have been to three Veggie restaurants that are amazing, two in Chicago and one in Evanston. I'd like to give them each a little plug and explain why I think each are great.

The first, and I think my favorite place for vegan dining, is the Pick me up cafe, on clark street in Wrigleyville. One great thing about it is that about half the menu is vegan, and most options could be modified to be vegan. If you need a place that will provide something for everyone, both meat eating and not, this place is great. Nobody has to be short on options, and everything is delicious. Their vegan pancakes are delicious. The vegan pizza is ok, but I'm not a fan of soy cheeses and would rather just have mine without cheese. They have this amazing falafel wrap that I get cravings for. So good! My boyfriend is vegetarian, and he loves it because they don't try to replace everything with fake meats and cheeses. And my meat eating friends are always happy too. Plus, they have a jukebox and a cute decor.

This morning after trying to sled in the cold, I went to the Blind faith cafe with some friends up in evanston. Its on Dempster, near main st. Its a very organic place, they are completley meat free, and they have a lot of vegan options too. I had a really great black bean tostada (I just told them to hold the dairy). It was better than what I've had at the chicago diner. They still had the brunch menu up (breakfast items are usually tricky because they almost always have eggs), but their dinner items are amazing. There's this vegan "meatloaf" made with cashews and shiitake mushrooms for the base which is so delicious! And they have a vegan bakery too, for the desserts. Mmm, we had peanut butter chocolate cake, and the frosting tasted a little bit like puppy chow.

Tonight, for my one year vegetarian anniversary we went with some friends to the Chicago Diner. They are a vegan staple in this area, and are usually very busy. Their desserts are so good too. My absolute favorite is their vegan cookie dough milkshake. I've had their cheesecake too which is really good. One of my most carniverous friends absolutely loves it and says that its the best pulled pork he's ever had (including the real thing). For appetizer's try their barbecue chicken wings. When I first had them a few days after going veg, I couldn't believe that they weren't real meat.

2 comments:

  1. We have to go to Evanston--that cafe sounds awesome! (I am officially addicted to shiitake mushrooms.)

    Eeeew, soy milkshake. You know it's not just a flavor thing for me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...what is it then? The ones at Pick Me Up are really good too, I had one on Thursday, and even the 2 dudes that had regular shakes said mine was good.

    ReplyDelete