Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Best "Chicken" Pot Pie Ever

This pot pie is AMAZING! This was one of the foods that I thought would never be as good once I gave up meat. I tried Amy's pot pie, but it was too bland and didn't have that delicious gravy taste. (A lot of her other stuff is great though, like her lentil soup, that's my favorite). Then I found this recipe online (it says its by Kathy Freston) and its everything I ever wanted in a pot pie.

I've made this for my work twice and most people told me they couldn't tell it wasn't real chicken. One of the times it was for my Vegan thanksgiving. I'll make a post about that sometime.

4 Tbsp vegetable bouillon (I haven't found a good conversion to liquid broth yet(
2 1/2 cups hot water
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes (a good investment for any vegan. High in protein and b-12. I use it sometimes in sauces or instead of parmesian cheese on pasta.)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 boiled potatoes, in small cubes (or 15.5 oz. can white potatoes)
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen carrots (or 1 1/2 cup mixed frozen vegetables)
1/2 cup faux chicken (I love the quorn chicken (*technically not vegan but you can see my opinion on it in the quinoa quorn corn recipe from 1/6/10) or the recipe says you can use Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chick'n Strips. Hell, even tofu would probably work if you got it firm enough)
1 box puff pastry sheets, thawed (pepprige farm works really well, and its typically not too expensive)


Preheart oven to 400F.
Mix the vegetable bouillon with the hot water to make a stock. Set aside.
Combine the nutritional yeast and flour in a large pot and stir constantly over low heat until lightly toasted. Add the oil, stirring. This will make a roux. Slowly whisk in the stock, garlic salt, and pepper. Add the vegetables and faux chicken. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
Roll out one sheet of puff pastry and place it in a 9-inch pie dish (or a square baking dish), trimming to fit. Place the pastry in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until it starts to puff.
Remove the pastry from the oven, pour the filling into it, and place the other sheet of puff pastry on top, cutting and pressing together the edges and making several 1 inch slits to allow the steam to escape.

Continue baking for approximately 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed.

It makes the house smell so good, and is great for cold winter weather.

1 comment: