Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fried Tofu

I can't get it quite like they do in my favorite Thai restaurant, Duck Walk, but its better than I've had other places and good considering its homemade. Its probably because I don't have a deep fryer...

I got the basic recipe out of a book my boss got me called "Meatless Meals for Busy People".

It would probably work best if you try to dry the tofu a little first.
Take a package of tofu and slice it into cubes. I like to slice it horizontally into 3 layers, so that its smaller. Then, to dry it more, you can put paper towel under and over it. Put something with a little weight on it to help the towel absorb water and leave it for a little while.
After it has had time for the water to be absorbed, slice it into one-inch cubes.

1 pound cubed tofu
1/4 cup soy sauce (approx.)
1 Cup flour
sesame seed oil
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
salt

Lay the tofu out in a tray and pour the soy sauce on top. Try to get it on all sides (if 1/4 cup isnt enough, add a little more)

Coat the bottom of a frying pan in the sesame seed oil and turn it up to medium-high.
Put the flour in a separate bowl and mix in the sesame seeds.
Dip the tofu in the flour and then put it in the pan to fry.
Fry it until it is brown on both sides (about 10 minutes). Make sure to flip it over half way through. It should hopefully be a little crispy. I think the longer you dry it, the crispier it should be (to a point), but I haven't experimented with this yet. Its really good, because it gets crispy on the outside, and squishy on the inside. Add salt as soon as you pull the tofu out, while its still wet.

I'm gonna get back to watching modern family. Great show!

No comments:

Post a Comment