Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ice Cream review

One of the hard things when you first become vegan is that you have to discover new things to use or consume in place of the usual things you used to love. For me, I even falsely assumed there were a lot of things that I just had to accept I'd never eat again. I never thought I'd have good ice cream again, or cookies and cream, ect. But its been fun exploring what else is out there and trying it out (and making other people try it out too). So occasionally I'd like to put together a list of what products I've found that are vegan versions of these foods. Today it will be ice cream:

The absolute best ice cream I've found has been So delicious coconut ice cream. They use coconut milk and agave nectar as the sweetener and I love it. I think I've had 3 of their flavors.
Their cookie dough is *amazing*. Somehow the dough is gluten free and has no egg, but it still tastes just like other cookie doughs and is really good. This one is my favorite.
The next best is Chocolate peanut butter. Its chocolate ice cream with ribbons of chocolate fudge and peanut butter. Super delicious.
I've had their mint too, and that one is great as well.

http://www.purelydecadent.com/products/purely_decadent_Coconut_Milk.html

Here's a list of other flavors:

Chocolate
Coconut
Mocha Almond Fudge
Passionate Mango
Vanilla Bean

Its more expensive than other ice creams, but that encourages me to not eat to much, and to savor it.

They also have soy flavors, but I haven't tried too many of those.

I've had their ice cream sandwiches (amazing) and their coconut milk ice cream bars (even more amazing). The bars are coated in this delicate, delicious chocolate covering. Its really amazing chocolate just by itself.

I've also tried rice dreams cookies and cream. You can tell its from rice milk, it has a very strong noticeable taste. After a while, you notice it less as you eat but it doesn't go away. I've only had it once.

Most soy ice creams taste like soy too, which is sometimes ok. I've had cookie dough that my boyfriend loved (which is weird since he hates soy products), but he didn't like the other flavors of that brand. I've had butter pecan, which was pretty good (I think these were all soy delicious flavors). The buttery-ness helps make it not taste like soy at all. Whats been really good is I've bought their vanilla bean, and mixed it in a blender with nerds to make a nerd blizzard (my favorite kind at dairy queen as a child that they dont even make anymore). It properly fulfilled a comfort food niche that I needed.

The one that I really haven't liked is better pecan by tofutti. Way too soy tasting. But my friends were all making root beer floats, and thats what the smallish grocery store had. It was sort of weird with root beer, and it made it too buttery.

If I try/think of more I'll add them. Feel free to add comments.


1 comment:

  1. Cocunut stuff = agreed! And, note, my taste buds haven't been spoiled by eating too much soy (just learned more about the evil of Monsanto...by the way, don't think I ever mentioned this to you, but did you watch 'The Informant!'?).

    I'm hoarding the milk. Why isn't it in the suburbs. :(

    ReplyDelete