Sunday, January 24, 2010

Delicious Stuffed Mushrooms

Whenever my friend Priya comes over you can trust two things will happen: hilarious situations, and some sort of adventurous cooking expedition. With the former being done the night before, we set out on the latter today.

For Christmas, my dad got me this book called "The Accidental Vegan" with some pretty interesting recipes (and a substantial section on Tempeh). The basic recipe for Stuffed Mushrooms was in there, so my friend and I adapted it to our own tastes for lunch today. I'll admit that I don't really like mushrooms all that much, but the stuffing (which also has mushrooms) made me forget that for a while. I think if I could just make the stuffing, and not have it turn out badly (i.e. burnt or too squishy), I would. I might try it as a sort of casserole style some other time.

1 lb large button mushrooms
1 red onion, chopped
2 or 3 cloves garlic, diced
1/3 cup red peppers, diced
1 cup bread crumbs (or crumbled toast works too in a pinch, as we discovered)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp crushed red peppers

Preheat oven to 375F

Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems (save them). You should be able to peel the top layer off the mushroom.
Chop the stems and other ingredients, then put the stems, onions, garlic, and peppers in a skillet with the olive oil, for about 10 minutes.
Add salt, basil, crushed red peppers, and bread crumbs.

Separately, coat a baking pan with olive oil and set the mushrooms in, top down.
Add the filling to each mushroom, about a tbsp.
Bake 45-55 minutes, or until brown.

6/16/10:  Note: Also is very delicious with baby bell peppers, from Trader Joe's.




1 comment:

  1. "Priya"? Who's that? :P

    Mushrooms. Are. Awesome. I think we'd want to cut back a little on the oil next time, and experiment with spices and other stuff...can broccoli be stuffing?

    ReplyDelete