Thursday, January 7, 2010

Signature Puppy Chow

I don't really do anything different than anyone else's puppy chow, but I make it all the time so I guess its my "signature" dish. Maybe add more powdered sugar than most. I've made it so much, I have it memorized. Its how I won over my boyfriend. Priya did warn me that if you feed men they never leave...

Puppy Chow

9 cups chex cereal (rice or corn work well)
1 cup chocolate chips (make sure there's no milk)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup vegan butter
1-2tbsp vanilla extract(I tend to favor it in my recipes)

2-3 cups powdered sugar

Put the 9 cups chex in a giant mixing bowl and set aside

melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla extract in a saucepan and stir. Don't let it burn, so you need to stir frequently. Once it is in liquid form, pour it over the cereal. Mix well, using a big spoon. This part is the most difficult, because it starts solidifying and won't spread evenly. Just do your best, it turns out alright. Don't worry if it clumps, those are the most delicious.

Split it up into 2 gallon sized bags and pour 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar on top. This is the second hardest part, as it tends to get all over. Its easiest to have a helper, and have one person scoop it into the bag, and the other to hold the bag open. Then, shake the bag vigorously. Turn it in all directions so the powdered sugar filters down and coats everything. Dump into a bowl and enjoy.


Vegan butter: Any vegan worth his/her salt knows about earth balance. Sold at trader Joe's and Whole foods. I've even seen it in Jewel. I dunno about other ones.

Vegan Chocolate chips: Check the ingredients for milk. Milk chocolate is out. O organics (sold at Dominics/safeway) is vegan. President's choice (Jewel). One of the Ghiredelli's is (I think semi sweet).

No comments:

Post a Comment